CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. – If you are a smoker, diabetic, have a family history of abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) or have family members who have suffered stroke, you could be at-risk for cardiovascular disease.
Those who are considered at-risk are eligible to receive vascular screenings with Summit Surgical Group. Screenings are $25 per test. Test dates are:
Saturday, April 8
9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
First Floor Exam Room 1120
501 E. Main St.
Thursday, April 27
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Medical Office Building
120 N. Seventh St., Suite 200
Screening tests are available for three major vascular conditions:
- Stroke/carotid artery disease
- Peripheral arterial disease (PAD)
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)
Registration is required and screening times are limited. To register, call (717) 217-6800.
What is this disease?
Vascular disease is any condition that affects the circulatory system, or the system of blood vessels that carries blood throughout the body. The circulatory system helps keep us alive.
Problems can develop in our blood vessels, such as plaque that creates blockages in the vessels or weakened vessel walls that can rupture and cause blood to leak from our circulatory system.
Who is at risk?
People who are older than 40 and who have certain risk factors or symptoms could benefit from these preventative health screenings.
Risk factors include:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart Disease
- History of smoking
- Family history of stroke, heart disease or abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Sudden, temporary weakness or numbness of the face, arms or legs on one side of your body.
- Sudden loss of speech, slurred speech or trouble understanding speech or written words.
- Sudden loss or shading of your vision in one or both eyes.
- Cold feet and legs.
- Poor wound healing or ulcers on your feet.
- Pain in calves, thighs or buttocks while walking that is relieved by rest.
For information on vascular services, click here.
Summit Health is a non-profit network of hospitals and physician practices dedicated to building a healthier community.
As Franklin County's leading healthcare provider, Summit Health offers family care, specialists, lab and imaging services, a fitness center, urgent care centers, and two award-winning hospitals.