WAYNESBORO, Pa. – Not everyone is a fan of surprises, especially when it comes to your health. But with many vascular diseases, symptoms don’t show up until it’s too late.
A few simple tests though can have a big impact. Summit Surgical Group – Chambersburg is offering vascular screenings on Saturday, April 11 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Waynesboro Hospital, 501 E. Main St., Waynesboro.
Screening tests are available for three major vascular conditions including:
- Stroke/carotid artery disease
- Peripheral arterial disease
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm
Registration is required. Call (717) 217-6800 to register. The cost will be $25 for each screening test.
What is this disease?
Vascular disease is any condition that affects your circulatory system, which is the system of blood vessels that carry blood throughout our bodies. The circulatory system is an extremely important system that keeps us alive.
Problems can develop in our blood vessels, like plaque that creates blockages in the vessels or weakened vessel walls that can rupture and cause blood to leak from our circulatory system.
Who is at risk?
People over the age of 40 with the following risk factors or symptoms could benefit from these preventative health screenings.
Risk factors include:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart Disease
- History of smoking
- Family history of stroke, heart disease or abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Sudden temporary weakness or numbness in your face, arms, legs on one side of your body.
- Sudden loss of speech, slurred speech, or trouble understanding speech or written words.
- Sudden loss or shading of your vision in one or both eyes.
- Cold feet and legs.
- Poor wound healing or ulcers on your feet.
- Pain in calves, thighs, or buttocks during walking which is relieved by rest.
For more information on vascular services, visit www.SummitHealth.org/vascular.
Summit Health is a non-profit network of hospitals and physician practices dedicated to building a healthier community.
As Franklin County's leading healthcare provider, Summit Health offers family care, specialists, lab and imaging services, a fitness center, urgent care centers, and two award-winning hospitals.