What is Bone Density Scanning?
Bone density scanning is an advanced x-ray system used to measure bone loss. It helps doctors prevent and treat diseases like osteoporosis and osteopenia.
The scan is painless, takes less than 15 minutes and is covered under your Medicare benefits.
This test is recommended for:
- Anyone over the age of 65
- Women who have completed menopause
- Anyone who has a thyroid condition
- Current cigarette smokers
- Anyone who weigh less than 125 pounds
- Anyone who has had a hip fracture
- Anyone who has taken steroids for 3 months or more
- Anyone with Type 1 diabetes, liver disease, kidney disease or a family history of osteoporosis.
Talk to your doctor today about your bone health and ask if a bone density scan is right for you.
Additional information is available at RadiologyInfo.org.