What are 3 things people can do in the kitchen to commit to their health in the new year?
- Menu plan for the week. Work together as a family to determine meals and snacks so that planning your grocery list will be easier and will accommodate everyone’s preferences.
- Have water available in the refrigerator instead of other high-calorie beverages such as juice or soda. The latest recommendations are 48-64oz of water, daily.
- After coming home from the grocery store, immediately cut/wash/portion fruits and vegetables to have them readily available for healthy snack options.
Why do healthy new year’s resolutions fail?
New Year’s resolutions fail because people set unrealistic goals or expectations. Set yourself up for success by making small, manageable goals. Also, think of the goal not as a yearly expectation but a goal to improve your overall health for a lifetime. For example: instead of setting a goal to go to the gym every day, perhaps, the goal can be changed to go to the gym three times per week for one hour.
Why should I make drinking more water a new year’s resolution?
The human body is made of up to 60% water, so it is important to hydrate yourself with water. Water can also help with appetite control. To help drink more water, consider putting a wedge of lemon or a slice of cucumber in the water. Also, carry a water bottle with you as a reminder to stay hydrated throughout the day.
What are 3 foods I should try to eat more of in 2019, and why?
The 3 foods to try in 2019 are Greek yogurt, sunflower butter, and quinoa.
- Greek yogurt contains live active cultures, key vitamins and minerals, and is a great source of protein. It can be consumed as a snack option or as a healthy substitution in a recipe for sour cream or mayonnaise.
- Sunflower butter can be a substitute for other nut butters especially if someone has a food allergy to nuts. It is a good source of vitamins and minerals and contains seven grams of plant based protein for two tablespoons. Try sunflower butter on an apple as a healthy snack or on a sunflower butter and jelly sandwich for a meal.
- Quinoa is a 7,000-year-old plant from the mountainous region of South America. It is commonly known as an “ancient grain”, however, it is not a grain at all. Quinoa is a seed. Quinoa is a complete protein source and contains many vitamins and minerals. It is available in white, red, and black varieties. It can be used as a breakfast meal with fruit and nuts on top or as a side accompanying a piece of fish and broccoli for a lunch or dinner option.
How can I Snack Healthy?
Smart snacks can be a great addition to a healthy meal plan. Healthy snacks can keep you energized throughout the day, satisfy hunger, and keep your mind alert. Here are some tips for smart snacking:
PREP AHEAD: Divide your snacks into smaller containers. The smaller containers help with portion control and they’re easier to grab on the go.
DELICIOUS COMBOS: Add some berries to your Greek yogurt or add one tablespoon of peanut butter to a small apple.
EAT YOUR VEGGIES: Raw vegetables are a great “go-to” snack, add one to two tablespoons of guacamole or hummus.
SNACK ON THE GO: If you know you’ll be away from the house for a while, take the snack with you. It is a great way to help you stay on track with your healthy meal plan for the New Year.