History of Waynesboro Hospital
1922 – Waynesboro Hospital is established by a group of volunteers in response to the Spanish Influenza. The illness killed 40 Waynesboro residents and more than 20 million people worldwide. At this time, the hospital had 35 beds.
1939 – A new wing was added to the west end of the building. This brought the hospital’s capacity to 78 beds.
1962 – Another expansion increased the hospital’s capacity to 105 beds.
1970 – A Coronary Care Unit was opened.
1972 – The Coronary Care Unit was replaced by a 6-bed Intensive Care Unit.
1980 – A major renovation lowered the hospital’s capacity to 88 beds. This reflected the trend within the healthcare industry to shift care toward outpatient services.
1995 – Waynesboro Hospital became part of the Summit Health family. Summit Health is also the parent organization to Chambersburg Hospital and most of the area’s physician practices.
2008 – Waynesboro Hospital received national recognition when it was named “America’s No. 1 Best Place to Work in Healthcare” by Modern Healthcare magazine.
Today – Waynesboro Hospital is a 62-bed facility offering a comprehensive selection of services. The hospital is staffed by about 175 physicians, 500 staff members, and more than 200 volunteers.