WAYNESBORO, Pa. – Vascular disease is among the leading causes of death in the United States, but many don’t suffer from symptoms until it’s too late.
The good news - Summit Health’s upcoming vascular screenings can help us determine our vascular health status so we can fight back.
So what is this disease?
Vascular disease is any condition that affects your circulatory system, which is the system of blood vessels that carry blood throughout our bodies. The circulatory system is an extremely important system that keeps us alive.
Problems can develop in our blood vessels, like plaque that creates blockages in the vessels or weakened vessel walls that can rupture and cause blood to leak from our circulatory system.
Saturday, April 5
9 am – 2 pm
Waynesboro Hospital, 501 E. Main St., Waynesboro, Pa
Screening tests are available for three major vascular conditions including:
- stroke/carotid artery disease
- peripheral arterial disease
- abdominal aortic aneurysm
Registration for the screenings is required. Call (717) 217-6800 to register.
The cost will be $25 for each screening test.
So who is at risk?
People over the age of 40 with the following risk factors or symptoms could benefit from these preventative health screenings.
Risk factors include:
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Heart Disease
- History of smoking
- Family history of stroke, heart disease or abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Sudden temporary weakness or numbness in your face, arms, legs on one side of your body.
- Sudden loss of speech, slurred speech, or trouble understanding speech or written words.
- Sudden loss or shading of your vision in one or both eyes.
- Cold feet and legs.
- Poor wound healing or ulcers on your feet.
- Pain in calves, thighs or buttocks during walking which is relieved by rest.
Summit Health is a non-profit network of hospitals and physician practices dedicated to building a healthier community.
As Franklin County's leading healthcare provider, Summit Health offers family care, specialists, lab and imaging services, a fitness center, two walk-in care centers, and two award-winning hospitals.