Autism Awareness Fair to be held in September
CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. – Individuals with autism, their families, friends, loved ones, and care providers are invited to the Autism Awareness Fair from 11 a.m. – 3 p.m., Saturday, Sept. 14 at Chambersburg Area Middle School South, 1151 E. McKinley St., Chambersburg.
The Autism Awareness Fair offers games, sensory activities, discussion sessions with Autism experts, free food and drink, and entertainment provided by Phantom Shadow.
“This is the seventh year that I’ve been involved with organizing an Autism Awareness fair,” said Dr. Stephen Flack, physician at Chambersburg Family Care. “Everyone that comes out always has a great time, and the informational sessions are so helpful to families and care givers of adults and children with autism.”
The fair was made possible this year through grants received from Summit Health’s Summit Endowment, Keystone Health, and the M & T Charitable Foundation.
For more information call (717) 217-6798.
Many local organizations will be attending the fair. Those organizations include:
- 4 H Riding Program
- Advanta Therapy LLC
- Asperger’s Social Group
- Autism Playgroup
- Autism Resources
- Autism Services, Education, Resources, and Training Collaborative (ASERT)
- Bayada Home Health Care
- Chambersburg Area School District
- Community Behavioral Healthcare Network of Pennsylvania (CBHNP)
- Edlantis Achievement Center
- Family Behavioral Resources
- Franklin County Early Intervention
- Franklin County Mental Health
- Franklin Family Services
- Franklin Learning Center/Lincoln Intermediate Unit
- Friends of Amazing Kids
- Grove Library Bookmobile
- Hann’s On Portraits
- Healthy Adams County Behavioral Health Task Force
- High-Functioning Autism (HFA) Support group: Krista Miracle
- Home to Stay:
- Jeff Lensbower, Psychologist
- Karen Robinson, gluten free cookbook author
- Keystone Audiology
- Kindly Canines
- Laurel Life (Manito)
- Masonic Lodge (Fingerprinting)
- McNees Wallace & Nurick LLC/Special Needs Trust
- NHS Human Services Stepping Stones program
- Norland Pharmacy
- Occupational Services Inc.
- Pa Counseling Services
- Parent to Parent
- Providing Relief for Autistic Youth, Inc. (PRAY)
- PT Etc.
- Seeing Eye Puppy Club
- Service Access Management (SAM)
- Spectrum Health and Wellness
- The Arc of Franklin and Fulton Counties
- The Vista School
- UCP of South Central PA
- Universal Health Services - Community Behavioral Health
- Wilson Therapeutic Riding program
- Youth Advocate
Educational sessions are as follows:
Joel Desotelle: Codependency with individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Nora Healy: Toileting issues in children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Betty Bittenger: Transitions
Sarah Osterman Richards: Parent Training
Adam Rowland: Visual Supports for young children, and Social Use of Language for school age children.
Scott Mitchell: Special Needs Trust planning
Summit Health, a non-profit organization, is dedicated to building a healthier community through leading-edge medical technology, skilled physicians, caring staff, and convenient locations. Summit Health’s comprehensive selection of services and providers includes family physicians, surgeons, specialists, diagnostic services, a women’s health center, a fitness center, and two award-winning hospitals.