Oncoplastic Breast Surgery
What is Oncoplastic Breast Surgery?
Oncoplastic breast surgery is the combination of breast cancer surgery and reconstructive surgery techniques. This specialized field of breast surgery allows your surgeon to remove breast tumors and reconstruct the breast during the same surgery.
Benefits of Oncoplastic Surgery
- Improved self-esteem and confidence
- Lower risk of a second surgery to remove more tissue
- Surgeon can evaluate opposite breast and create symmetrical appearance
- May reduce need for mastectomy
- If treatment plan is mastectomy, breast reconstruction is started right away
Is it right for me?
Oncoplastic Breast Surgery is recommended for:
- Mastectomy patients
- Patients who have had conservative surgery with significant defects
- Women with significant asymmetry after cancer surgery
Your ability to have reconstructive surgery could be affected by:
- Previous surgery
- Other health conditions
|Dr. James Hurley is fellowship trained in Oncoplastic Surgery. His specialized training allows him to remove breast tumors and reconstruct the breast in one surgery.|
Ask you doctor if this surgery is right for you. If you have questions, be sure to write them down and bring them with you to your next appointment.
To make an appointment or for more info, call (717) 762-7155