What is a mammogram?
A mammogram is an x-ray picture inside the breast. This image allows your doctor to see any changes in your breast tissue that could not be felt during a clinical breast exam.
Summit Health uses advanced digital technology for mammograms. Digital images provide a more detailed view of the breast. We also use the MammoPad® breast cushion to make mammography more comfortable.
Guidelines For Early Detection of Breast Cancer
- Age 20 and older - do a self breast exam monthly
- Age 20 to 40 - schedule a clinical breast exam every 3 years and do a self breast exam monthly
- Age 40 and older - schedule mammograms every year, do monthly self breast exams and schedule yearly clinical exams
- If high risk - yearly mammograms and possibly yearly MRIs. Ask your doctor to be sure.
Diagnosis & Treatment Locations
- Rhonda Brake Shreiner Women's Center
- John L. Grove Medical Center
- Shippensburg Medical Campus
- Waynesboro Hospital