Qualifying for Weight Loss Surgery
Qualifying for weight loss surgery
To be a candidate for bariatric surgery, the National Institutes of Health has set minimum requirements for recommending weight loss surgery as a treatment option:
- Age greater than 18 and less than 60 years of age, based on doctor's discretion.
- 100 pounds or more above ideal body weight or a BMI of 40 or greater.
- Body Mass Index (BMI) of 35 or greater with one or more obesity-related health condition.
- History of documented dietary weight loss attempts.
- Lifelong commitment to dietary, exercise, and medical guidelines with follow-up care.
- Psychological evaluation.
Together, you and Dr. Gorman will take steps to determine:
- If surgery is the right treatment for you.
- Which type of procedure is best for you.
- If you have, or will have, the necessary support system.
- If you are mentally and emotionally prepared to make lifelong lifestyle changes, especially when it comes to diet and exercise habits.