History of Chambersburg Hospital
1895 South Main St.
1900's Chambersburg Hospital
1895 - Chambersburg Hospital opened at 217 South Main Street. It had 9 beds - 3 private rooms, a 3-bed ward for women, and a 3-bed ward for men.
1905 - A new 35-bed, hospital opened on Lincoln Way East. It was staffed by 9 physicians.
1922 - The hospital expanded to 90 beds following a $100,000 addition.
1927 - View a hospital bill from 1927 submitted by a community member.
1950 - A new hospital opened. It included 101 adult beds, a 30-bed pediatric department, and a 32-bed maternity unit.
1958 - An expansion created a total of 229 beds and 32 bassinets - nearly double the size of the average Pennsylvania Hospital at that time.
1968 - A $3 million addition was completed, raising the hospital's capacity to 320 beds. The first hospital building on Lincoln Way East was razed.
1981 - A new 21-bed Critical Care Unit opened.
1983 - A new 6-bed Psychiatric Unit opened.
1985 - The Psychiatric Unit expanded to 20 beds (from 6).
1986 - A 20-bed Rehabilitation Unit opened.
1992 - Construction began on a $25 million expansion and renovation project focusing on Outpatient, Rehabilitation, Emergency, and Women's services.
1994 - Chambersburg Hospital announced plans to affiliate with Waynesboro Hospital. The parent organization was named Summit Health.
2004 - Chambersburg Hospital established an Interventional Cardiology program.
2008 - Chambersburg Hospital adds a voice-activated Operating Room. The system's name is "Sidne."
2010 - Chambersburg Hospital adds a $1.6 million Robotic Surgery system. This new surgery method helps patients heal faster with less pain.
2012 - The hospital's Wound Care Center expands to create more treatment areas. The Wound Care Center also adds 2 hyperbaric oxygen therapy chambers.
2012- In December, construction of new King Street addition is complete. The new addition added 171 fully private patient rooms and a new, expanded Cardiology Catheterization Lab.