Grants Awarded 2012
The Summit Endowment provides grants to non-profit organizations in the area for collaborative, outcome-focused projects that address health issues affecting residents in Summit Health's service areas. Listed below are the 2012 grant recipients:
- Interfaith Housing Alliance - Continue onsite health and wellness program for senior residents age 55 and older that is focused on the management and prevention of diabetes and other chronic diseases.
- LIU12 Franklin County Literacy Council - ESL Health Literacy Program – A two-part program that aims to equip English Language Learners with the skill and knowledge they need to improve their nutrition and to be better able to navigate the health care system.
- Penn State Cooperative Extension - Dining with Diabetes research-based education program with three series of six classes.
- Penn State Month Alto - Nursing Faculty Support – Continue the employment of two, master’s prepared nursing faculty for the Associate Nursing Degree Program.
- Waynesboro Community & Human Services - Community Nurse Program in Washington Township – Expanding community nursing to help low-income, uninsured or underinsured patients manage their acute and chronic medical problems in their homes.
- Chambersburg Area Council for the Arts - Art Classes at The Tower at Falling Spring – Two series of 10 classes each of free, interactive are workshops to the residents.
- Keystone Health - Information and health screenings at Southgate - To provide prevention information and screenings including National HIV Testing Days.
- The Kidney Foundation of Central PA - KIDnE Screening Program – Upcoming free kidney disease screening.
- UCP of South Central PA - Peach Tree Preschool – Kindergarten readiness program that consists of typical developing children and children with special needs ages four and five.
- Waynesboro Hospital - Group Lifestyle Balance - Provide an evidence-based curriculum to persons identified as pre-diabetic as well as those at risk for developing diabetes.
- Family Care Services - Training Material for CPR and First Aid – Upgrade materials to continue to teach CPR and First Aid classes to staff and provider families. Equipment will be loaned to other community organizations upon request.
- MACWell - Everyday Chefs: A Nutrition Education Initiative of the Mercersburg Area Council for Wellness –For Tuscarora Area families that will be taught by local restaurant and experience hands-on activities such as meal planning, grocery shopping.
- Penn State Cooperative Extension - Vengan Aqui! Healthy Life with Diabetes! – Provide a three hour workshop with cooking, tasting, lecture, discussion and physical activity to underserved community (both English speaking and those with limited English who primarily speak Spanish) with type 2 diabetes.
- Greencastle-Antrim Endowment Scholarships - Three one-year scholarships awarded for graduating seniors at Greencastle-Antrim Senior High School who are pursuing a career in health care.